The proposed project, When Silence Falls, is a one-day, multidisciplinary event recognising the history and memory of the Laundries and Industrial Schools in the South-East of Ireland. The event proposes an exploration of the memory of the Magdalene institutions through a site-specific, practice-based approach incorporating a live art durational performance; audio/visual installations; and academic talks at the Waterford Institute of Technology’s College Street campus.
This project aims to examine how practice-based research may contribute to the understanding of commemoration and memory of the Magdalene institutions; make the documentation of performances publicly accessible online; and to open the site of a former Laundry to the wider community.
Dates and Location
Saturday October 22, 2016
Waterford Institute of Technology, College Street Campus
The event is free, but ticketed. Tickets will be available online in September via Eventbrite (details and links to be updated).
About the Artist(s)
- Site-specific, live art durational performance (Chapel)
Áine Phillips is an Irish performance and visual artist whose work explores
social and political themes (http://ainephillips.com/section/8205.html). Phillips will work with WIT’s Theatre Studies and Visual Art students and staff in the weeks leading up to event to prepare a durational performance exploring the memory of the Magdalene women through the medium of the body.
- Audio/visual presentation (Rooms 1-3)
- Recordings of oral histories with Magdalene survivors will be played on televisions attached to individual headphones.
- A visual art installation by Nancy Rochford-Flynn (interdisciplinary artist/activist based in Wexford) will examine gender and identity and the effects of oppression.
- A documentary film (In Loving Memories by Audrey Rosseau, Canada), exploring the struggles for recognition and redress of past injustices in the Magdalene Laundries through activist portraits, will be premiered.
Professional talks–Chapel (to be confirmed)
Further and Contact Information